2020 Imagination Celebration Art Contest

Hiba Baloch, Staff Writer

For those who were unaware, BPJH students can be a part of a brand-new art contest! The theme for this Art contest is “Imagination counts! And so do you! Stand up and be  counted in the 2020 Census!” According to the Oxford Dictionary, (a) census is an official count or survey of a population, typically recording various details of individuals.

In a shorter explanation, census is similar to voting, but it is considered the community’s vote, and it’s the census that decides who is going to be elected into office. Despite the fact that we are far too young to vote, we can express our views of what we want our political future to be, by entering this contest! If you are interested in joining, ask your teacher (most likely your homeroom teacher) for a flyer. This flyer contains all of the rules, and some questions that you may have regarding the contest. However, you will need to know that: Artwork will need to a minimum of  9″x 12″ and will need to be oriented vertically.  All artwork entries need to be submitted ONLINE in order to be accepted, and that the form/application will close on Tuesday, January 21st, at midnight. Physical artwork will need to be brought to the Orange County Department of Education, and it must be at O.C.D.E. by Wednesday, January 22nd, by 4:OO P.M. In addition, the exhibit dates are March 29th-10th, 2020; The Awards Reception will be on Saturday, April 4th, and will begin at 5:00 P.M.

Now that most of the important rules and information are out of the way, let’s talk about what the contest winners will earn(besides having the satisfaction of working hard and trying their best on their artwork)! The main winner of the first prize entry will get a $300 Honorarium, their teacher will get a $200 Honorarium, plus, the artist’s work will be exhibited at the showcase gallery, they will be invited to an opening reception with family and friends, Membership for one year at the O.C. Fine Arts Gallery ,including entry to the exhibit, they will be acknowledged at a district board and/or city council meeting, and finall,y the artist will receive a framed copy of their winning artwork/poster. The two runner-up artist’s that had the second and third best entries will receive a $50 Honorarium, will be acknowledged at a school function, their artwork will also be exhibited at the Showcase gallery, a membership for one year at the O.C Fine Arts Gallery, including the opportunity to the exhibit, they will be invited to an opening reception with family and friends, they will be included online for the ‘People’s Choice” contest. Last but not least, the 20 additional artists, your entry will allow these chances: your art will be exhibited at the Showcase Gallery, including a chance to visit the exhibit, you will be invited to an opening reception along with family and friends, you will be included online for the “People’s Choice” contest, and lastly, you will get a one year membership allowing you to visit the O.C Fine Arts Gallery, including entry to the exhibit.

To anyone entering the contest: Good Luck, Try your Best, and have fun(in advance)!