• Sports Tryouts for Track & Field on Tuesday & Wednesday, April 23 & 24

• Tutorial Tomorrow! Plan Your Day!

• Quarter 4 Progress Reports are due April 17

• Remember to Wear Your ID Lanyard at All Times

• Stallions are Respectful, Responsible, and Ready to Learn!

Adopt Don’t Shop

Back to Article
Back to Article

Adopt Don’t Shop

Credit to ASPCA for the picture

Credit to ASPCA for the picture

Credit to ASPCA for the picture

Credit to ASPCA for the picture

Mikhaila Roome, Writer

Hey, stallions! Christmas is coming up in two months, and a lot of people have puppy and kitten fever. This means that parents, adults, or couples might be getting a cute little puppy or a tiny kitty for Christmas(or even birthdays!). Now I know this seems fine— people are gonna get a precious canine or feline to add to the family. But most people buy puppies and kittens from pet shops.

Most dogs that come from pet shops come from things called puppy mills. They’re places that over stock dogs and keep them locked away in wire cages with no bed, no toys, dirty water, little food, and fecal matter — this means their cage is not cleaned when they go to the bathroom. Most females dogs are bred directly after having a litter, which can damage her, and then killed or abandoned once they can no longer produce puppies. The dogs are kept cramped together in horrible conditions for anywhere from a few weeks to their whole lives, and puppies rarely get to see their mothers.

These puppy mills then ship the puppies off to pet stores. And that’s where you get your dogs. But this isn’t just for dogs. There are kitten mills too, and they’re just as bad. The cats and dogs that come from these mills are not only abused, but they also may have a lot of health complications. Being cramped with other dogs/cats and fecal matter makes them exposed to bacteria, and they get no medical care. This means your cute little poodle is probably extremely sick, and it’ll probably die unless you spend thousands of dollars on vet bills!

That’s where adopting comes in. Even though it’s illegal in all fifty states to abandon an animal, about 6.5 million companion animals enter animal shelters nationwide. 3.3 million of those are dogs, and 3.2 million of those are cats. Each year, about 1.5 of those animals are euthanized, and 3.2 million are adopted. Crazy, right?

These animals are often strays, abused, or just abandoned. And they are in dire need of homes. By adopting you save two lives! The animal you adopt, and an animal that needed that space in the shelter. And if you can’t adopt, then help out at shelters! Some animals need help re-adjusting to humans and being a normal animal, but all of them can be fabulous pets who love you.  They just need a little time.

• Adopt Don’t Shop

Arts & Entertainment

(;Waffle Review;)

• Opinion

Anti-Vaccination

• Adopt Don’t Shop

Opinion

High School

• Adopt Don’t Shop

Opinion

Gift Ideas for Guys

• Adopt Don’t Shop

Arts & Entertainment

Thanksgiving Break

• Arts & Entertainment

Hamilton: An American Musical

• Adopt Don’t Shop

Opinion

orange .

• Adopt Don’t Shop

Opinion

My Favorite Instagram Accounts

• Adopt Don’t Shop

Arts & Entertainment

indie

• Adopt Don’t Shop

Opinion

Clinical Depression

Adopt Don’t Shop